Northeast Oregon Economic Development District (NEOEDD) offers Business Foundations, its popular free, six-week workshop series to help entrepreneurs and small business owners build the basis for a successful business. Due to the COVID-19 restrictions, the class will take place via videoconference. Register by Friday, Apr. 17 to reserve your place in the workshop. Registration form is available at https://bit.ly/2JBNuUt.
Lisa Dawson has taught “Business Foundations” for more than ten years, and her students—existing and aspiring entrepreneurs in Baker, Union and Wallowa counties—continue to give her rave reviews. This
comprehensive, hand-on class covers the basics of running a successful business: overhead and inventory costs, goal-setting and sales projections, marketing, taxes and licensing, and other considerations, and brings it all together in a business plan. Best of all, thanks to a Community Development Block Grant through City of La Grande, the classes are offered free of charge!
Business Foundations takes place:
• Tuesdays 6-9 p.m.: April 21, 28, May 5, 12, 19 and 26
• Wednesdays 2-5 p.m.: April 22, 29, May 6, 13, 20 and 27
Participants must have a computer with a camera, microphone, and speakers, and high-speed
internet. Preference is made to people with low-to-moderate incomes; income verification is required.
The workshop series lasts six weeks, with the following topics:
• Gaining Perspective: Consider your business concept.
• Laying the Foundation: Define line of business and analyze financial essentials, from overhead costs to break-even point.
• Getting into the Flow: Cover the financial essentials of cash flow, sales forecasting, and financial documents.
• Mission & Markets: Revisit mission, discuss market research, and identify competitors in order to align with target markets.
• Get the Word Out: Discuss creative marketing strategies and give peer feedback on marketing materials.
• Goodbye & Good Luck: Present your business plan, share final pitch, and plan for next steps.
Here’s what former class participants have to say about the Foundations class:
• “[I appreciated Lisa’s] low-key and helpful attitude, and her desire to help each of us regardless of our business choices.” –Participant in Halfway
• “I hadn’t looked at break-even point, overhead costs, and marketing costs before this class.” – Participant in Enterprise
• “[I valued] being able to get a grasp on my business intentions and the necessary work involved to be successful.” –Participant in Baker City